Truth Is, Forgiving Yourself Is Not What You Need. Truth Is!
Did you know there are no references to forgiving yourself in the Bible? Why might that be? Countless times it speaks to forgiving others. Did God intentionally leave out our need to forgive yourself? I do not believe so. I think His focus was for us to gain Truth and He is The Truth. Let me explain in this week’s Sunday Coach Connect.
Before I do, I want to apologize for my delay in getting my blog posts out. Work is incredibly busy these next four weeks, so you may see a delay in my ability to send you a timely post. Please forgive me upfront.
What is Truth?
John 8:32 “Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” Free from what and how can you be free of something you have been experiencing for years now? You are free not because of what you do. You are free because of what was done for you. According to Billy Burke, “If you go by facts all your life, it will cancel out your faith.” Fact is there are inevitably things in your life which may have wounded you, people who hurt you deeply and perhaps even things you did or choices you made you cannot seem to let go of. These are facts, but they are not the TRUTH. The fact is it hurts. The fact is it sucks that someone would hurt you. The fact is you may still be holding on to this right now. But the TRUTH is Jesus calls us to “Renew our Mind. Stop conforming to the patterns of this world.” Our world tells you, [Insert name here], you have the right to be mad. You do not have to forgive someone who hurts you. If someone hurts you, hurt them. Make them pay for what they have done. The fact is HURT People Hurt People and choose to focus on:
TRUTH is Healthy People (those who forgive) HEAL people focus on:
When you forgive (whether yourself or others), you are telling God Himself:
- THANK YOU for the grace you have bestowed on me.
- THANK YOU, Jesus, for forgiving my sins, so I might find this TRUTH and forgive too.
- THANK YOU for allowing me to enter into the “Peace that transcends all understanding” – Philippians 4 and receive the REST and TRUTH which comes through forgiveness.
- THANK YOU for not requiring me to forgive myself, rather allowing me the understanding, I need to “confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” - 1 John 1:9.
This TRUTH sets me free and a free person does not need to forgive themselves, they need to BELIEVE.
More TRUTH on Forgiveness
- Colossians 3:13
- Ephesians 4:31-32
- Daniel 9:9
- Colossians 1:13-14
- Jeremiah 31:34
- 1 Timothy 1:15
- John 8:32
Q&Q – Ponder This
"The lost enjoy forever the horrible freedom they have demanded." – C.S. Lewis
Call to Action
This post is really about a call to action, for all of us. Will you commit with me to do these three things?
- Thank God today for forgiving you and allowing you an opportunity at Truth and Peace.
- Read the seven scriptures on Forgiveness. It will only take you 5-10 minutes, but implant a seed of Truth that grows a lifetime.
- Pray and practice silence. Turn off the words of the world and turn on the Truth. It’s a great station and one you will want to set on repeat.
I leave you this week with the words of Sarah Young “Jesus Calling – p. 136.”
Don’t be so hard on yourself:
"I can bring good even out of your mistakes. Your finite mind tends to look backward, longing to undo decisions you come to regret. This is a waste of time and energy, leaving only two frustrating. Instead of floundering in the past, release your mistakes to Me. Look at Me and trust, anticipating that My infinite creativity can weave both good choices and bad into a lovely design. Because you are human, you will continue to make mistakes. Thinking that you should live in an error-free life is symptomatic of pride. Your failures can be a source of blessing, humbling you and giving you the empathy for other people in their weaknesses. Best of all, failure highlights your dependence on Me. I am able to bring beauty out of the morass of your mistakes. Trust me, and watch to see what I will do."
Pursue Your Potential!